Using ArcGIS Online
Date: March 16, 2022 – 9 am – 12 pm
Training Cost: $150
This training will be held Online via Zoom
Summary: This is a half-day training program that will introduce you to ESRI’s ArcGIS Online platform using the free Public Account. The concepts discussed in this training can also be applied to an Organization account. The ArcGIS Online platform provides a map viewer to access the volumes of data being served from RIGIS and other data providers which are easily accessible in this interface.
- Explore ready to use map services from RIGIS and others (hundreds of maps!)
- Query existing data
- Build your own maps using available data
- Create your own data (import: .csv, .txt, addresses, .gpx, heads-up digitizing)
- Share your content via e-mail, Facebook, Twitter or embed the code into your own website
- Learn how to create a Story Map
Requirements: This course is intended for those interested in working with geographic data. Participants should be comfortable working in a windows environment. No prior GIS knowledge is necessary!
Introduction to ArcGIS Pro
Date: Non scheduled as this time
Training Cost: $800
Summary: This three-day hands-on computer course provides an introduction to the capabilities of ESRI’s ArcGIS Pro desktop Geographic Information System. Participants will learn the fundamentals of using the software to work with geospatial data including; querying a database, editing spatial and attribute data, performing geoprocessing analysis and presenting results in a map. We work extensively with the Rhode Island Geographic Information System (RIGIS) database to teach these concepts.
All participants receive hands-on software instruction, a training manual with step-by-step exercises and training data. Upon successful completion of the course, participants receive a URI Certificate of Course Completion. Classes are taught in Woodward Hall at URI’s Kingston campus (pdf). Interactive Map.
Requirements: Participants should be comfortable working in a windows environment.
- Geospatial data types: storage and management
- The ArcPro interface: toolbars, pop-up / drop-down menu
- Display, symbolize, and label geospatial data
- Accessing ArcGIS.com basemaps and other internet map services
- Printing and exporting maps
- Creating and Editing geospatial data
- How to perform attribute and spatial queries
- Creating X,Y location data, spatial analysis (overlay)
- Accessing the RIGIS data catalog
Aimée Mandeville is a Research Associate in the Environmental Data Center. With over 25 years in the field, she‘s an experienced GIS analyst and has worked with several groups to design and administer ArcGIS Online organizations, share GIS datasets, and create effective outreach resources such as the story maps and online mapping applications.
Alyson McCann has over 25 years of experience working with GIS for natural resources protection and management and has conducted numerous GIS training programs for municipalities, businesses, state and federal agencies, and educational organizations.
URI Graduate Certificates