Alternate Tile layer – TPK directly from ArcMap
Creating a tile layer for ArcGIS Online
This workflow should be used when publishing large datasets such as imagery to ArcGIS Online (AGO) as a service. This workflow uses the ArcGIS Runtime Tools to process the image tiles and create the .tpk necessary. Once the tile package is created, you can upload to ArcGIS Online with your Publisher account and create pulish tiles. No credits will be used for processing. However, credits will be consumed for the storage of your uploaded file and published tiles, 1.2 credits/1GB/month.
1. Set up your ArcMap Document
Confirm that Enable ArcGIS Runtime Tools is active.
- Customize > ArcMap Options > Sharing tab > Enable ArcGIS Runtime Tools
It is important to remember that the data frame must be in WGS 1984 Web Mercator (Auxiliary Sphere)
- Add the imagery that you would like to create a tile package for and publish to AGO
2. Create tile package (.tpk)
Within your ArcMap document, sign into ArcGIS Online (publisher role)
- File > Share As > Tile Package
- Name the tile package
- Select tile format (default is fine)
- Fill in the necessary fields for Item Description
- Click Share
3. Publish the tiles to create a tile layer in ArcGIS Online
- Login to ArcGIS Organization account, must have PUBLISHER role permissions.
- Find your uploaded tile package (.tpk) in My Content.
- View the details of the file, Click the Publish option. The tile cache will be extracted from the file and your tile layer will be created.
- Both the tile package and the tile layer service appear in the My Content list.
The .tpk file can be deleted once the tiles have been published, reducing storage costs. Credits will be used for storage of the published tiles.