Date of Training: January class is full. Spring/Summer Training dates coming soon.
Training Time: 8:30 am - 4:00 pm
Training Cost: $750
Summary: Three-day hands-on computer course providing an introduction to the capabilities of a desktop Geographic Information System. While using ESRI's ArcGIS 10.5® software, the fundamentals of working with geospatial data are taught including; querying a database, editing spatial and attribute data, performing geo-processing tasks and presenting results in a map. We work extensively with the Rhode Island Geographic Information System (RIGIS) database to teach these concepts.
Each student will receive hands-on software instruction, course books with exercises, slides and accompanying training data. Upon successful completion of the course, students receive a URI Certificate of Course Completion. Classes are taught in Woodward Hall at URI’s Kingston campus (pdf). Interactive Map
Requirements: Participants should be comfortable working in a windows environment. Please visit ESRI's training website and try this free course on Getting Started with GIS This will provide you with a comprehensive introduction to some of the topics that will be covered in the three-day course.
- Geospatial data types: storage and management
- The ArcMap interface: toolbars, pop-up / drop-down menu
- Display, symbolize, and label geospatial data
- Accessing ArcGIS.com basemaps and other internet map services
- Printing and exporting maps
- Creating and Editing geospatial data
- How to perform attribute and spatial queries
- Creating X,Y location data, spatial analysis (overlay)
- Accessing the RIGIS data catalog