About This Project
This collection of coastal Rhode Island eelgrass (Zostera marina) GIS datasets is a collaboration between the Rhode Island Coastal Resources Management Council (CRMC) and the University of Rhode Island's Environmental Data Center (EDC). Its purpose is two-fold: to provide a single, comprehensive repository for Rhode Island eelgrass geographic data, and to provide resource managers and the public with an interactive way to access the data. More information about the interactive eelgrass maps can be found on the Eelgrass Maps page.
The data layers currently available have been collected and/or funded by:
- Applied Science Associates
- Brown University
- Coastal Resources Management Council
- Narragansett Bay National Estuary Program
- Narragansett Bay Project
- Rhode Island Aqua Fund Program
- Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management
- Rhode Island Sea Grant
- Save The Bay
- University of Massachusetts Natural Resources Assessment Group
- University of Rhode Island Department of Natural Resources Science
- University of Rhode Island Graduate School of Oceanography
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
Additional data layers are welcome to this collection. If you have information on eelgrass spatial data that could be contributed, please contact the CRMC at 401/783-3370.
Specical thanks to Helen Cottrell, Chris Powell, Paul Jordan, the CRMC permit staff, Jill Bodnar and the URI Environmental Data Center for their work and contribution to this project.
Website design and IMS development by Jill Bodnar and the EDC. Content, editing, and project management by Laura M. Ernst of the RI CRMC. This web-site was financed in part by a grant from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, under the provisions of the Coastal Zone Management Act of 1972 (Public Law
92-583), under Grant #NA970Z0177.